import/export...and everything in between

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Oh No! Oh My! In LA Tonight!

Okay, say what you will about punctuation. That it's so %&$#! unescessary, BUT I have to let everyone know of my love for yet another educated band: Oh No! Oh My!. Oh yes!



Meet Greg Barkley, Joel Calvin and Daniel Hoxmeier. The songwriting nucleus of ON! OM!

These kids were picked up by the blogger train almost a year ago, specifically by I Guess I'm Floating and a few others. They're originally from Austin, TX and reloacted to Nashville so Greg (vox/guitar) and Daniel (guitar) could go to engineering/recording school. Out there they picked up a few more members Tim Regan (formerly of Snowglobe) and Will McDonald (bass).

Without ever having played a live show, the band recorded their self-titled debut which is equal parts The Shins, Modest Mouse and unabashed wide-eyed romance and awkward quirks. Their lyrics read like a childrens book on acid, "so, let's ride bikes into the sea / and catch a bus outside the reef" but ends in a quaintly morbid realisation of loss that brings it back to 20-something woes "but if i die / i guess that you'll die, too"...

Basically, these guys have something. They're still unsigned, but it's in the works, and you should expect BIG things from them very soon. This year they've already played Lollapalooza and opened for The Flaming Lips and Gnarls Barkley. But, for those of you in LA it is your chance to see them in a great, intimate venue, and consequently, party yr ass off. They play tonight @ Dim Mak + Filter's Cinespace party:



Also, check out these select track (thanks to CYSTSFTS and i Guess I'm Floating):

Oh No! Oh My! - Walk In The Park
Oh No! Oh My! - I Love You All The Time
Oh No! Oh My! - The Party Punch

x, LA Broad

No comments: