import/export...and everything in between

Friday, June 01, 2007

Icky Thump Leaked by Q101 DJ

DJ Electra on Chicago's famous rock station Q101 officially leaked Icky Thump much to the dismay of Jack White and crew. She got the album from a friend of a friend and the rest is history.

Now my question is, how the hell did Q101 play this record without permission from SOMEONE! Whether it be the band, management, the label...SOMEONE I just don't know what got into her that she decided to play the record on such a prestigious station.

Here is the blog entry:
God, what a day. Here's what I can tell you.

At 2pm today, during my show, Q101 became the first station in the world to play the new White Stripes album, Icky Thump. It's awesome. It's really, really, unbelievably brilliant and awesome. I was giddy and excited to share it with fellow fans.

At 4pm today, Jack White called Q101's main offices from Spain, where they're touring, looking specifically for me, to yell at ME for leaking the album and, in part, being "messed up for the entire (music) business." (Edit - I listened to the call again today, and I apologize for initially misquoting Jack.) I felt like I was going to throw up. Weirdest, most surreal conversation of my life.

So Sherman and Tingle were on the air when Jack called. They took the call with me in the studio, off the air. Jack asked me to take responsibility for leaking the record, and asked if I was sorry for what I'd done. S&T both jumped into the call - I was clearly flustered - and backed me 100%. We tried to explain where we were coming from - someone gave us a copy of a record that we were really excited to play, and the whole experience was an hour-long lovefest for him and his band - but he wasn't having it. He hung up, very, very angry, and I thought I was going to cry. Instead, I drank some beers that the Fix had left in the studio. Room temperature Bud Light. Delicious.

After speaking to Jack's manager and getting their side of the story, Spike and I went on the air with S&T to open up the situation to the listeners. We respected Jack's desire not to be on the air and didn't re-air the call, but we talked about what was said and what happened. I'm extremely grateful to everyone who called in supporting us. I don't think I am helping to ruin the music industry. I think I made people excited for the new White Stripes record. I know that was our intention.

I also still think Jack White is an incredibly talented musician, and I still think the new record is amazing. I just don't think I'll be able to listen to it without feeling like crap for a good long while.

And that's all I have to say about that.


Well, at least those lucky Chicago folks got to hear the record!

NY Broad x

No comments: